Top Ten Tuesday #73 + Teaser Tuesday #34

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish 


Today's Top Ten Tuesday is a FREEBIE! Meaning I can make it about whatever I want! And after careful deliberation (because I totally put a lot of thought into these things, don't you know), I chose to make up my own Top Ten rather than recycling one of their old topics. And that is: Top 10 Real Places From Literature I Want to Visit. There was a similar Top Ten topic months back.

  1. Venice, Italy: So many of my favorite books have taken place there: The Thief Lord, Cross My Heart, City of Masks - just to name a few. And unlike a lot of people, I don't think for a moment that Venice will be a disappointment, because I have done my research. I know it's expensive, a bit of a tourist trap, and perhaps not as pristine as one might imagine. But I don't for a moment think that it will lessen the magic of the place.
  2. Dartmoor, England: I am a Sherlockian and my favorite of the novels is The Hound of the Baskervilles. I think it might be everyone's favorite. But I simply must visit Dartmoor and listen for the call of the Baskerville hound at night.
  3. Philadelphia: When I was a kid/tween, I read a LOT of American Revolution novels. It gave me a very healthy appreciation for our history, and I would love nothing more than the visit one of the states that was so iconic during that time.
  4. Vienna, Austria: This isn't just because of books; it's also because of music.
  5. Iceland: Thank you, Jules Verne, for writing Journey to the Center of the Earth. I now have a reason to go see Iceland.
  6. London, England: How many novels have I read that take place in this city? I'm not sure, but a lot. And I really, really, really want to see it!
  7. Warsaw, Poland: If Victorian novels are the No. 1 most-read genre for me, WWII/Holocaust fiction is No. 2
  8. Ireland: Not sure where exactly in Ireland I all want to visit. Everywhere, I guess.
  9. Ostia, Italy: A small seaport town mostly made up of Roman ruins now, this was the hometown of my four favorite characters in my favorite mystery series growing up: The Roman Mysteries. I will satisfy my childhood dream one day and visit.
  10. Mongolia: I haven't read many books set in Mongolia, but I still would love to visit.

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by Should Be Reading

- Grab the book you're currently reading.
- Flip to a random page.
- Share 2 teaser sentences from that page!

"I said that you were the target and I still believe that to be the case. The truth is that it would not have mattered to Clarence Devereux if you lived or died. It was no more than a demonstration of his power, his immunity from prosecution. He laughs in the face of the British police and at the same time he warns them: do not come close, do not interfere with my business." Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz (pg. 135)

Comments

  1. Sounds very good!

    Mine this week is a romantic suspense:

    http://pdworkman.com/excerpt-from-to-catch-a-bad-guy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anthony Horowitz is an amazing writer.

      Delete
  2. What a unique spin and I hope you get to visit all the places you're heart desires!

    I hope to see you around my blog

    Katelynn
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katelynn! I've been outlining my travel plans for the next few years, so hopefully I will get to visit at least most of those places! :)

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine has visited Iceland twice and loved it.
    My TT: The Kraken Project by Douglas Preston at http://wp.me/pZnGI-hx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I really, really want to visit Iceland.

      Delete
  4. Ah, the mysterious Warsaw would I like to visit too. Also I want to go on a trip across Ireland. And I recently added Mongolia to places I want to visit, that's mainly because I started watching Marco Polo, Netflix's original show. Worth watching.
    I must correct you that Vienna is the capital city of Austria :)
    My TTT

    You have chosen an interesting teaser. Makes me want to pick up this book and read it :)
    My Teaser
    Kat @ Reading Owls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trip across Ireland would be amazing. One of these days, a few friends and I would like to do a backpacking trip across the Scottish Highlands. Did I really say that Vienna is in Germany? Oh my; that is embarrassing for a history buff like me. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

      Delete
  5. YES to Venice and Iceland and Ireland! And let me know if you're planning on a Philly trip. I'm really close to there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely let you know. Houston is next on my list after BookCon for their Lindy Hop Fest. And then probably Iceland after that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting The Reading Hedgehog! The hedgie and I love hearing from our readers, so please feel free to leave a comment or question! I always try to reply within a day or two. Please keep all comments civil and clean.

Popular posts from this blog

2016 TBR Update #8

Waiting on Wednesday: Ghostly Echoes

Review: The Fire Wish - Amber Lough